A question

I’m just curious: how come aircraft always hold short behind the hold short-lines and not directly above it(like the nose would be directly above it)?

1 Like

Probably has something to do with having enough clearance for aircraft with wider wingspan. Not 100% sure, but that’d be my guess.

Generally I would say it is down to aircraft size mostly and wingspan as stated above.

1 Like

They can’t be on it as passed it, it is runway territory and any landing traffic would not be able to legally land, and would be a FAA violation, so they hold behind it as not to go over it

4 Likes

After the hold short bars it’s considered the active runway environment. Therefore if planes were to hold short of a runway over the hold short bars they would technically have been a runway incursions, which is really bad and dangerous.(another way to put it is what @clayviation said)

4 Likes

Yes the nose would also be behind the hold short line

I were meant to ask why can’t the aircraft nose be directly above it

It is considered on the runway then so it would be deemed “unsafe”

2 Likes

@tyler99 is a pilot he may know.

Is also a pilot

But yes a nose over the hold short bars IMO would probably still be a runway incursion.

As far as I’m concerned anything being slightly over the paint would count

1 Like

Questions like these just show the sheer amount of knowledge some users have here; something I certainly didn’t know… I only thought if the wheels were over it counted as a violation - not the nose…

Yeah, a runway environment isn’t just the surface, it also goes up because well, airplanes fly in 3 dimensions

Like others have said it is all, including vertically, protected environment

2 Likes

As a student pilot I usually try to be a few feet behind, especially in taildraggers (my main training aircraft is a Citabria) where it’s slightly harder to see. Not worth the violation or anything haha