At what point on approach do you drop gear?

Hey :aww:… A screenshot post by @Maverick sparked this debate when I saw this picture that he took…

That being said, what is the best time to put gear down? He says 1800AGL and I say when turning final. What do you think?

1 Like

Here

1 Like

Preferably before touching down

I was playing this game called TU-95, which is what it exactly sounds like: you fly a Tu-95 in several missions like being a tanker or fly from one airport to the other or other military related missions. Anyway, if you fly too fast while keeping the landing gear down, the gears would of course blown away so do not go so fast, I would say around 185 knots because you wanna have landing gear and flaps deployed at the same time and spoiler armed as well

1 Like

I feel like starting at 3000 feet is too high to drop landing gear

2 Likes

Ugh I hate that game, I’ve never landed successfully.

Each plane has its own operating limitations outlined in the POH

3 Likes

Yes, you can drop landing gear at any appropriate speed but I’m pretty sure there’s an altitude limit

2 Likes

I’m the same here

2 Likes

Lol it’s impossible.

3 Likes

What’s impossible

2 Likes

Just looked it up. The altitude restriction on 737 gear is FL410, which is basically the highest cruise altitude a 737 will use, so the restrictions are pretty much irrelevant.

1 Like

Landing in TU-95

2 Likes

For me, this more applies when I’m on an instrument approach, is I drop the gear when the glide slope(or path) is one dot above.

1 Like

I do not believe you can have landing gear on cruise altitude

1 Like

Yeah but not with cruise speed. Max speed for 737 is 280 kts

1 Like

When I fly, I go up to 350 knots. I try going up with 41,000 feet but encounter heavy winds once I’m at about 33000

1 Like

Theoretically you can, you just have to be slow enough. I mean, I fly IRL with my gear down all the time

2 Likes

That should be indicated, because it’s TAS up at cruise is up closer to 400-500 true

2 Likes

It’s called a 172 lol

1 Like

What about a350 or any wide boy aircraft

1 Like