📢 This is your chance to help the community! Are you or anyone you know good at logo design? Please help us here

Icelandair looking to replace 757

I’m always misinformed lol. Only today was I made aware that Icelandair are deciding what their 757 replacement aircraft will be by the end of this year! I actually like the 757 having flown in one before on Icelandair. But yeah the fleet is getting a bit old they already have the 737 max they are very pleased with as it produces 36% less emissions than the 757. I think they might get the A321XLR as the 757s modern competitor. What do you think about this? What aircraft do you think they should replace the 757 with?

1 Like

Well they need a modern plane which is comparable to the 757 in terms of range (planes that can fly from Iceland to US West Coast) so A321LR/XLR will be the most suitable. Though they didn’t say that they will be retiring the 757 right away which is good.

3 Likes

They should keep the 757s

2 Likes

Good idea but they will need a replacement eventually…

1 Like

NO THEY WONT

1 Like

Here’s what I understand when it comes to replacing Boeing 757’s. The A321XLR has the range of a Boeing 757 but doesn’t have the capacity. And the 737MAX has the capacity and runway performance but doesn’t have the range of the Boeing 757.

eh not really…

The 737MAX 10 seats 230 passengers and the 757-300 seats 225

1 Like

All good points everyone.

look, that’s the maximum capacity of the MAX 10 and a typical 2-class 753

also the A321neo and extended-range variants can seat up to 240

still neither can match the 757’s performance

1 Like

Fair point but I think they are looking for efficiency and range and the closest seat capacity to the 757.

1 Like

Oh and one thing, I don’t think Icelandair wants to train all of its pilots to use an Airbus, the notjoystick for example

2 Likes

Ah yeah! I forgot lol. That would be a slight inconvenience.

2 Likes

Well the A321LR should have better performance than the MAX 10

I looked it up

1 Like

Proof (it’s actually the XLR)

1 Like

True but the A321 is closer

1 Like

it is closer than the MAX, but still a pretty long way to the 757

1 Like

I think they will get a mix of those and some 737 Max’s. I do wish the 752 stayed around for a little while longer, great aircraft.

2 Likes

This is sad. Cmon Icelandair, not yet 🥲

1 Like

Sad to see these beautiful birds go. I think that the A320XLR is the best option for Icelandair, especially since the runway requirements are much less than that of the MAX, which is required for their operations at small Scandinavian airports.

2 Likes