Korean Air to Retire A380 within 5 Years

During an interview with FlightGlobal, Walter Cho, Korean Air’s CEO has confirmed that the Airbus A380 is going to be retired in 5 years, including the ones from Asiana Airlines once both airlines complete their merger.

In addition to the Airbus A380, the Boeing 747-8 will also be phased out in the next 10 years.

Before this announcement, no one expected Korean Air to pull the plug on the A380 just yet, thinking that the superjumbo will be here to stay for the foreseeable future. However, after today’s announcement, it seems that there are very few airlines that remain committed to the plane. Others have either retired them, sent them to long-term storage or set a retirement date for the A380 (like Korean Air.)

What do you think about Korean Air’s decision to retire the A380s? Comment below!

2 Likes

Well it is sad news! Especially so early on. Only 5 years!?

1 Like

I agree… I hope EK, SQ and NH will hold on to them for at least another 10 years…

2 Likes

who that

1 Like

ANA All Nippon Airways

2 Likes

I hope all all of them phase them out right now, even Emirates :smiling_imp:

:rage: :rage:

NO PLEASE DON’T EMIRATES

1 Like

yes Emirates should retire all of their A380s now… as well as cancel their A350s and A330neos and order more 777xs and 787s :crazy_face:

1 Like

They cancelled it already :joy:

1 Like

ah yes, the delayed plane

1 Like

wait what

1 Like

Replaced with A350

By the way we are way off topic :joy:

And the benefits of that would be? 777 is old and the 787 is riddled with technical issues which appear every few months.

2 Likes

I mean the A350 also has a few issues but the 777X is getting delayed after being delayed

1 Like

I mean they still make 777s…

1 Like

Old but gold like they say