📢 This is your chance to help the community! Are you or anyone you know good at logo design? Please help us here

My PPL Training

Hello everyone! With me beginning flight training in a little bit, I’m making this topic to give updates on how my training is going!

August 17, 2020: This is when it all began. I took an introductory flight and it was amazing. It was the first time I have ever been in a cockpit let alone fly a plane before. This is the plane I will be flying. A 1975 Piper Warrior I with Garmin 430

February 17, 2021: Nothing that exciting happened but I got my first class medical certificate

February 23, 2021: Today I went into my flight school and got registered for my training as well as registered for a student pilot certificate. While I don’t officially start flying until March 9, I got my syllabus and a few other things as well as ordered the Bose A20 headset to use for my training

I’m excited to get started and I give another update after my first flight lesson on March 9!

12 Likes

welcome to the rabbit hole that is flight training. I am almost finished up, working on replacing my first class medical cert because I accidently washed mine with my wallet making it un readable. All I need for my checkride is to replace the certificate, then I’m good to go. I’m doing my flight training in 2005/2008 C172S NAVIII (G1000)

1 Like

Thats awesome! Not so much the washed up medical but the G1000 is awesome. Good luck on your checkride!

1 Like

yeah, love the G1000, started with the g1000 at Embry-Riddle, flew a 1978 Cherokee over the summer, got poed at riddles pricing, started walking a mile to save $70/flight hour for what was essentially the same plane, just slightly older. and thanks, if I don’t get a call tomorrow, it looks like I’m going to have to deal with thee FSDO to get it replaced.

1 Like

You have any tips before I officially get started?

1 Like

some tips:

• yes, it’s a lot of knowledge, take your time, study, you’ll do fine, it’s all fairly easy.
  • Get foreflight, I find it to be extremely useful for flight planning and getting aviation weather
    • Also gets all your charts to be in one place which means you don’t have to worry about paper charts and getting new ones every time they update
  • lastly, but most importantly, have fun!
1 Like

Yeah I have an iPad for foreflight. My instructor said he recommends waiting until I start the cross country stage until getting it though. I’m planning on flying 1-2 times every week. Do you think this is a good amount?

yeah, that’ll work, however, I suggest scheduling and flying 2-3 times/week to allow for you to weather a day or two and still can fly that week. If you don’t mind me asking, what airport are you flying out of?

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense. It’s KDKB

1 Like

Nice, enjoy the Chicago airspace, from what I’ve heard, it’s very busy. I deal with some busy airspace down here as well at KDAB(it’s a one letter difference, nice), a very busy class C full of flight training airplanes. The best way to describe DAB is a f-ton of skyhawks, then you throw in the occasional Diamond Twin Star and PSA Airlines CRJ and the occasional Delta A319/B717/B737

1 Like

Yeah Chicago is for sure busy. Being a little farther west makes it a little less busy but we are almost right under the 10C/10R approach course into ORD. We have some cool cross country flights though including Madison and Milwaukee

1 Like

yeah, I’ve mostly been to other airports in Florida, but I’ve had to say mark my words, one of these days I will get into KSSI in Georgia for some supposedly really good BBQ

Get it for free*

Oh how we all wish

1 Like

I wish or rather we all wish
-all pilots out there

1 Like

Honestly don’t understand why it’s so expensive if nearly every airline pilot, or pilot in general, has it. You would’ve thought basic economics would’ve told it to become cheaper and cheaper. Gotta love capitalism :rofl:

1 Like

the airlines likely have a deal to get it cheaper, and even I get mine cheaper, thanks Riddle (even though I don’t flight train there anymore)

Cheaper, but still not affordable :wink:

1 Like

I get it for 30% off, aka $70 for the year it’s not all that bad plus my aunt pays for it, so I don’t pay for it at all

Well aren’t you a sleuth :chart_with_upwards_trend:

1 Like

This is great news to see fellow community members going for their PPL and becoming a private pilot. I’m wishing you all the best of luck and is something that I hope to gain in the future but hard at the moment.

1 Like