📢 This is your chance to help the community! Are you or anyone you know good at logo design? Please help us here

Pilotless Planes. Sooner than we feared?

Is the age of pilotless planes upon us? Is it sooner than we feared? With rising costs and the ever growing shortage of pilots is this the end of it all? The glamour? The dream? The experience? Leave your thoughts below for this issue raises complex concerns with both additional pro’s and con’s.

5 Likes

Please noooo! I like to have at least two crew in the cockpit at all times thanks just in case. I’m not ready yet for this.

5 Likes

Are you not ready for the technology? Or are you not ready for the change. With pilotless planes as soon as 2025 is the world changing all too quickly? Myself. I believe three factors will limit the production of pilotless aircraft.

1. The Military.

2. Politics.

3. Insurance.

But can these be overlooked? Are two pilots really necessary and can their salary be cut for more and more profit? Captain Sully. Could he be the factor of which is not overlooked. The human factor.

5 Likes

Both. I’m doing to be a stubborn person. I agree with the limiting factors you posted. I feel like insurance is going to be the biggest one.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the general public is also gonna be against this as the like seeing people in the cockpits. And the pilots union’s are gonna be fighting this from a regulatory point of view(namely making it against the regulations and requiring 2 people in the cockpit)

2 Likes

Also Airbus is already pushing for single pilot ops during cruise(see Project Connect), and I know a lot of people are against that, so I imagine a similar number/more are gonna be against this.

1 Like

Time for Boeing to comeback from the recent events! :grin:

1 Like

Only 30% of the public said they wouldn’t be comfortable flying on pilotless planes. A little amount in proportion who will probably come around. Thought?

Is it a comeback though? Or a complete disaster? Do we want pilotless planes? Thoughts?

2 Likes

I sure as heck don’t want pilot-less planes, what if something goes wrong in the program, what if it doesn’t understand a message from ATC. There are a bunch of potential issues.

1 Like

Somewhat sure Boeing won’t do it anytime soon

1 Like

Only 30%? This is a surprise to me I would have thought it would have been much higher. How many people did they ask do you know?

1 Like

In the 25-34 age group, 30% responded that they were very likely or somewhat likely to fly in an autonomous airliner - Only Info I could get courtesy of Uniting Aviation

Surely it’s like a chess calculator. If you code every single game in history the machine becomes so advanced it wins at every single opportunity.

The future looks uncertain. :wink:

1 Like

That’s only one age group, there are a whole lot more people aged differently than that and with very different opinions. Therefore I believe just calling 30% willing to fly on an autonomous airplane to be faulty in nature due to it not including all the age groups.

2 Likes

Completely agree. Beforehand I did not find the figures on age so I’ll regard my apologies there. However, even if it was 50% it’s hardly a dramatic decline and people are likely to come around when/if it works no?

1 Like