When Does A Flight Become Committed To Taking Off?

Have you ever sat on a plane waiting to be cleared for take-off and suddenly thought about what might happen if an engine fails as the plane begins to take off? For most people, this uncomfortable thought has occurred at least once. But there is no need to panic. V1, otherwise known as the point of no return, is the moment at which take-off cannot be aborted, even if the engine fails.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://simpleflying.com/commited-to-take-off/
1 Like

I try not to think about emergencies.
Just a preference

Interesting article. I always have this thought in my mind though.

come to think of it though I sat in an emergency exit seat on Thomas Cook two years ago and the flight attendant never asked me if I was willing to help in an emergency nor gave us an instruction. Lucky i was lmao

I like the exit row, more leg room, and the exits are generally pretty easy to operate

1 Like

I like how you say that as like you have experience

I hope you haven’t though

1 Like

I have not opened an emergency exit, they just seem pretty dang easy to operated, my take offs (including when I wasn’t the pilot on a commercial flight) do equal my landings (also including on commercial flights)